AVID Mission Statement

AVID's mission is to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a
global society

October 5, 2010

Essential 55

The Essential 55
By Ron Clark

Rule 1
When responding to any adult, you must answer by saying
“Yes ma’am” or “No sir.” Just nodding your head or saying
any other form of yes or no is not acceptable.
Rule 2
Make eye contact. When someone is speaking, keep your
eyes on him or her at all times. If someone makes a
comment, turn and face that person.

Rule 3
If someone in the class wins a game or does something well,
we will congratulate that person. Claps should be at least
three seconds in length with the full part of both hands
meeting in a manner that will give the appropriate clap
volume.
Rule 4
During discussions, respect other students’ comments,
opinions, and ideas. When possible, make statements like, “I
agree with John, and I also feel that…” or “I disagree with
Sarah. She made a good point I feel that…” or “I think Victor
made an excellent observation, and it made me realize…”
Rule 5
If you win or do well at something, do not brag. If you lose, do
not show anger. Instead, say something like, “I really enjoyed
the competition, and I look forward to playing you again,” or
“good game,” or don’t say anything at all. To show anger or
sarcasm, such as “I wasn’t playing hard anyway” or “You
really aren’t that good,” shows weakness.
Rule 6
If you are asked a question in conversation, you should ask a
question in return.

Me: “Did you have a nice weekend?”
You: “Yes, I had a great time. My family and I went shopping.
What about you? Did you have a nice weekend?”

It is only polite to show others that you are just as interested in
them as they are in you.

No comments: